- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 package (7 ounces) small pasta shells
- 2 cups frozen peas
- In a soup kettle, combine the broth, water, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Add the cabbage, pasta and peas; cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts1 cup equals 127 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- In a skillet, brown chicken on both sides in 2 tablespoons of oil. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, celery, water, olives, garlic powder, oregano, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add mushrooms; simmer 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional FactsOne serving (prepared without salt) equals 277 calories, 13 g fat (0 saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.